Knowing how to make a complaint

Making a complaint can be a daunting task, so knowing who you can complain to and what to do is essential. 

We can help you. We've worked with Healthwatch England to produce straightforward advice will guide you through the process from knowing who to talk to, top tips on what to do and what you can expect from services in response. 

Read our complaints advice

Self Help Information Pack

Healthwatch Tameside has developed a Self Help Information Pack as part of our Help with NHS Complaints service. You can download it below.

Self Help Information Pack

Complaints about NHS services

The NHS provides good quality services to most people but sometimes things do go wrong. Very often a problem can be resolved quickly, easily and informally but in some cases people may choose to make an official complaint. If you want to make a complaint about an NHS service you have received, Healthwatch Tameside can help you by:

  • Giving you a Self Help Information Pack that helps you to understand how the process works.
  • Helping you to write down your experience in a clear, logical way.
  • Helping you to ask for access to your medical records.
  • Giving you feedback on draft complaints letters, etc.
  • Supporting you to prepare for resolution meetings.
  • Referring you to another service if you need someone to speak on your behalf.

Patient Advice Liaison Service 

Patient Advice Liaison Service (PALS) offers confidential advice, support and information on health matters. It provides a point of contact for patients, families and carers.

PALS do not investigate individual complaints but can give you general advice about the NHS complaints procedure.

Contact PALS service

Complaints advocacy services

Every area of England has an independent NHS complaints advocacy service funded by the local authority. They can help you make a complaint about an NHS service or work out what you want to achieve from a complaint. 

You will need to contact your local authority to find out who holds your local advocacy service contract.

Contact your local authority